Home *** Tutorials *** Library *** Kitchen *** About Me *** Contact Me *** FAQ


Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Day 19 - Finding Harmony in Your Marriage/Relationship

I am not a marriage counselor, and I know I still have a lot left to learn. However, I do want to share with you a few things that I have learned, most of these things were learned when Jeremy and I came dangerously close to splitting up.  As a last ditch effort to save our marriage, we brainstormed, and came up with a few ideas.  It worked, and we are now stronger than we have ever been.  There are two things that we used to consciously do every day.  Now, we do them automatically and effortlessly.

1.  Look each other in the eyes at least once.  I don't mean just looking at your husband while talking to him, I mean really look him in the eyes.  Sometimes we say I love you, sometimes we mention something we appreciate about the other person, and sometimes we don't say anything at all.


2.  Touch each other at least once.  It can be a hug, a cuddle, holding hands, or just a touch on the shoulder.  

These two things are so simple, and are really just common sense.  By doing these two simple things, we let each other know that we love each other, we're here for each other, and we appreciate each other.  We talk more, love more, and laugh more, which helps us raise happy, healthy boys.

My great-grandparents after about 50 years of marriage.

We look forward to sharing a long and joyful life together, just like our parents, grandparents, and great-grandparents.  Sometimes doing the simplest things can make for the happiest marriages.

3 comments:

  1. Enjoying the harmony posts--and this one is beautiful!
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more! it is the little things that keep a marriage together. We have been married 15 years and I have to say that I love my husband more now than I did the day I married him (and those years were not all happiness and romance) because we now take the time to enjoy each other and laugh with each and tell each other everyday that we love each other. :)
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Carla!

    Michelle - *thumbs up* :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts with Thumbnails