Home *** Tutorials *** Library *** Kitchen *** About Me *** Contact Me *** FAQ


Tuesday, June 14, 2011

My name is Heather, and I am a Beef Snob

It's true.  With the exception of 4 very long years one state south, I have spent my entire life in Nebraska.  Born here, raised here, and will probably die here.  I am not a fan of this so-called best in the business corn-fed beef.  I actually had a lady chew me out at me at the grocery store once because I was explaining to my kids why I really don't care for this supposed Nebraska staple.

I like grass-fed beef, and I will not apologize for it.  If you want good Nebraska beef, go to the Sandhills area.  There, you'll find more wheat and cattle than corn.  Try the beef.  It's DELICIOUS.  It is what I was raised on.  My super awesome great-uncle gave us a full beef every year for Christmas, and it would feed our 5 person family for almost a whole year.

My husband thought I was crazy, till I brought my point home the only way I could - a cook-off.  I bought 1 pound of 93% lean grain-fed beef from the store, and 1 pound of 90% lean grass-fed beef from the farmer's market.  I divided each pound into thirds, and convinced him to help me tacos, spaghetti, and grilled burgers.  The result?  He no longer thinks I'm crazy.

Even though the grass was slightly less lean than the grain, it cooked cleaner and tasted much better.

When I think of free-range meat, I don't think about better treatment for the animals.  I'm selfish enough that I think of better tasting meat!

1 comment:

  1. I love your post!! I just recently switched to eating grass fed beef and I will never ever go back to grain fed beef. You are 100% correct when you say the taste is delicious. I just can’t get enough and to know I am eating healthier make it all the better. For me however, it is difficult to find grass fed beef locally. I have done lot of research and I buy all my grass fed beef online from La Cense Beef. I am always completely satisfied with my order and I have learned a lot from their site on the health benefits of grass fed beef.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts with Thumbnails