Home *** Tutorials *** Library *** Kitchen *** About Me *** Contact Me *** FAQ


Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Ruffled Lampshade

I've had this lamp FOR.EV.ER. The base used to be an odd (but pretty shade of green). I loved the green, but it clashed with my walls when they were green, so I painted it silver, and sponged some charcoal stain to make it look older.


Now, it's time to change the shade.  This is so super easy (and I was in a bit of a hurry), so I didn't take pictures of each step, but I think you'll get the idea!

All you need is:
scissors
glue gun
ruffles (I used about 4-5 yards)
lamp shade

First, you have to make your ruffles, which is also super duper easy.  Cut your strips of fabric at about 1 - 1.25 inches wide.  (A strip that is 1.5 yards long will give you about 30" of ruffle.)  On your sewing machine, set both your stitch length and tension to the HIGHEST number (or the LONGEST stitch and TIGHTEST tension setting).  Now, simple sew down the center, and the fabric will ruffle itself.

With your ruffles, start about 1/4" above the bottom of your shade, and glue your ruffle all the way around.  I lined the ends of my ruffle up with the seam that runs from the top to the bottom of my shade.  You also don't need to put a whole line of glue.  I found that just a few dots, about 3" apart worked just fine.  Then, just keep adding rows of ruffles until.the shade is covered!


I like it so much better, now!


Want to make one of these, but don't have a sewing machine to make the ruffles?  Email me!  And, don't forget about my Flickr group - I'd love to see your creations!

Linking up here:
At Home with K
House of Grace
A Diamond in the Stuff
Coastal Charm
Not just a housewife
The Little Birdie Blog 
My Girlish Whims
Blue Cricket Design
Someday Crafts
Women Who Do It All
The Thrifty Home


20 comments:

  1. So cute, I have a shade just dying for something like this!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love ruffles! So cute, you did an awsome job :)


    Lina
    Fancy Frugal Life

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a difference some pretty ruffles make! Love the new look! I found you through NJAH, and wanted to stop by and invite you to the linky party on my page! Here's this week's link:

    http://littlebirdiebaby.blogspot.com/2011/04/tutorial-tuesday-linky-party-bamboo.html

    It happens every Tuesday and I feature my favorites on Saturday! Hope you'll join us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the lampshade

    Come visit me
    www.ourjoyfulliving.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so funny. Not the shade, that is so pretty! But I went to make something similar to this last night. Only I didn't have the fabric anymore that I thought I had. I must have given it to goodwill! Now i have to go back and buy more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is so pretty! lovely clean and feminine look :)

    I'd love for you to link this up to my new link party, Your Whims Wednesday! http://mygirlishwhims.blogspot.com/2011/04/your-whims-wednesday-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it. I don't have a sewing machine. I might have to invest and make one of these!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just love the ruffle look, it really makes the lamp look so cute!

    I found you on Your Whims Wed.

    Jodi

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this! so cute! I need to update some of my lamps!
    Visiting from Justsewsassy.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is soooo cute! Love the ruffles. Visiting from Show and Tell at Blue Cricket.
    ~Kimberlee
    {$15 Amazon GC Giveaway} 

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this! I've been trying to think of how to alter a plain shade in my bedroom -- this just may be the answer! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. that new shade really makes the lamp soft and pretty now. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love how the ruffles soften the look of the lamp. Just lovely as always, Heather. Thanks so much for linking up to Terrific Under Ten!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Girl are you serious? This is beautiful you talented thing you. I am going to be reduing my bedroom and these lamps would be perfect. Bookmarked. Thank you for such a good tutorial. I will let you know when I make my own and will for sure give you all the credit :) I found you through blue cricket designs link party. come and say hi
    tyandwhitneyulrich.blogspot.com
    a little craft
    a little real life
    a little being a new mom

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ca-uute! Ruffles make me happy. I need lamps and flat surfaces to put them on.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is so adorable! I just love ruffles, they make me smile too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this! I think you did a great job...so much so that I re did one of my lamps like it. Don't worry I gave you credit...you can check it out here... http://nakpilfamily.blogspot.com/2011/04/craftiness.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts with Thumbnails