Home *** Tutorials *** Library *** Kitchen *** About Me *** Contact Me *** FAQ


Monday, March 7, 2011

Pretty in Pink

Do you bead? Five years ago, beading wasn't even on my radar.  Then, my mom brought me into a beading store, and I fell in love.  Unfortunately for us, this little slice of heaven closed up a couple of years ago.  I was thrilled to learn that Carla would still be selling her beads online!

Wednesday evening, I ordered some of these (to make something with my nieces sometime) and some of these (for me!).  Would you believe they arrived in my mailbox Saturday morning?!  Such a nice way to start the day!  My mom and dad had my brother's kids for the weekend, and when I showed the girls the pretty pink beads that we were going to use for bracelets, they were so excited!


For each bracelet, we used:
Elastic beading thread
3 crimp beads
3 large hole beads
4 rondelle beads from the little grab bag Carla sent with my order
60-66 size 8 beads
pink velvet ribbon

The bracelets were very simple, and went together quickly.  Since the girls are only 5 and (almost) 7, I opted to use crimp beads to help keep the beads on the string.  Just don't crimp them too tightly because they will cause the string to break.

First, I cut a piece of elastic string about 8-10 inches long.  About 2 inches from one end, using needle-nose pliers, crimp one of the crimp beads in place, then add 12 of the size 8 beads (for my older niece, I added 15 here instead of 12).  Next, string on a rondelle like one of these (The first & fourth rondelles are slightly larger than the 2nd & 3rd, but I'm not sure of the exact size).  *Add 12 more of the size 8 beads, then 1 of the large hole beads, followed by 1 rondelle.*  Repeat steps between the * two more times.  String on 12 more size 8 beads (again, I added 15 here), and one more crimp bead.  Thread both ends of the bracelet through the third crimp bead and crimp into place.  Using the velvet ribbon, add a bow.

When I tried tying a bow, it was too bulky.  Instead, I used 2 pieces.  I made the loops with one piece, then wrapped the second piece around the middle of the first.  I also wrapped the second piece around the crimp beads to hide them, and used a needle & thread to sew it into place.

Hope that all made sense!  Now, I'm off to get ready for yet another round of snow...I'm beginning to think that Mother Nature hates us!


2 comments:

  1. Wow! What a great post--they all are! Your blog is jam-packed full of such inspiring and helpful information. Thank you soooo much for your kind comments. Made my day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Carla! And, you are soooo welcome!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts with Thumbnails