Home *** Tutorials *** Library *** Kitchen *** About Me *** Contact Me *** FAQ


Monday, September 21, 2009

Junkin'

Friday morning, I'm going to be dropping my boys off at school, then I'm going to disappear for 2-3 days while my parents and I cover half the state looking at "junk". That's right, the 2009 Nebraska Junk Jaunt starts Friday and ends on Sunday! I'm bringing my camera, and hope to have lots of eye candy to show you come Monday.

Until then, I do have a wonderful little find I came across a few weeks ago. Every year, we have a family reunion on the Sunday of Labor Day weekend. My grandpa's family farm, or what is left of it, is located nearby so my mom, aunt, and I went exploring since I had never been there. We stopped at a cemetery to take some pictures of some ancestor's stones, which brought up a few questions I would like to answer.

There aren't many buildings still standing. There is one little 3-room "house" still standing, but it won't be for long. I took a picture of the outside, and will take more pictures when my parents and I head back up there in a couple of weeks. This little building was home to 6 people (grandpa's aunt & uncle, and their kids), and I can't even imagine how crowded it must have been.

Next to that little house, there was another one that had collapsed. As we were walking around the little crumpled house, we were discussing how much of the old wood we would come back for, and I noticed some scroll work in the dirt. I crawled under some locust trees, thankfully avoiding the massive thorns, and realized it was a bed! After fighting with the trees and the wood from the house trying to keep the bed, we finally freed it. It is now sitting in my garage waiting for the spring when I'm going to plant it in a flower bed amid a field of white daisies.












On the way to the farm, there is a beautiful old church. I had my aunt pull over so I could take a picture. I'm hoping that the leaves will be turning (and still on the trees) when we go back. Can you imagine what a beautiful picture that would make? I'm excited just thinking about it!


1 comment:

Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts with Thumbnails